The National Domestic Workers Alliance (www.domesticworkers.org) organizes domestic workers in the United States for respect, recognition and labor standards. We work to guarantee labor protections for domestic workers by winning legislation at the state level, pushing for regulatory changes at the national level, through the International Labor Organization at the global level, and elevating domestic workers as key leaders in building a powerful movement for social and global justice. The Alliance formed in 2007 at the US Social Forum and currently represents 68 affiliates and chapters in 18 states, and a growing base of individual members.
Since its inception, NDWA has been an alliance of independent affiliate organizations. NDWA’s Board of Directors, represented by affiliates and allies, set a goal of organizing 250,000 domestic workers nationally by increasing the size and scale of affiliates and by creating a membership program of at least 200,000 members. Now domestic workers who live in regions without affiliates can join NDWA directly, receive benefits and connect to other workers. The membership program is a strategy to address challenges of scale and sustainability, helping the domestic worker movement build the power necessary to successfully advance an ambitious agenda for social and economic justice.
NDWA is seeking a skilled Digital Director to develop NDWA’s overall digital strategies for finding, recruiting and engaging workers online, for building relationships with workers at scale and for using digital communications to build out a membership lifecycle. The Digital Director will work as part of NDWA’s membership and field teams, and will also interface with the communications team as the person responsible for overall digital communications to NDWA’s base. The Digital Director will also be responsible for building out a more robust digital organizing team.
- Develop overall digital strategies for member recruitment and engagement, including email, mobile, social media, and web
- Build and maintain member email list, including list segmentation, writing compelling content, growing our list, and syncing with ongoing campaigns
- Manage worker digital communications calendars
- With the communications and membership teams, play a lead role in evaluating and improving overall worker communications frames and messaging
- Develop some content for worker communications, including email, SMS, organic social, paid digital, and web and social media
- Build and maintain member social audience, including audience development, writing compelling content, producing social media graphics, and analyzing data from social campaigns
- Build and maintain private member social conversations, including prospecting, community moderation, and content generation across platforms
- Understand and apply data driven decision making to our membership online presence, including analysis, reporting, and targeting
- Provide recommendations on digital team structure in conjunction with supervisor
- Supervise additional members of the digital team
- Ensure smooth coordination between digital and field teams.
- 3+ years experience as digital strategist for a social justice organization
- Proven experience in designing and implementing digital campaigns, the building of a member social audience, maintenance of a member email list and the application of data-driven decision-making.
- Familiarity with digital strategies for engaging communities with limited access to technology
- Experience with audience development and developing digital content with an eye for growth
- Training and leadership development skills, especially for people with limited digital/technical experience
- Experience coordinating projects that involve organizers on the ground, digital and communications teams, and frontline communities and members is a must.
- Experience working with designers and developers, especially communicating needs from non-digital practitioners and managing deadlines
- Spanish language proficiency
- Strong writing and editing skills, especially in writing for the internet
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Commitment to building the power of domestic workers
- Preference for applicant with experience in developing digital communications messaging frameworks
- Basic html recommended but not required
- Experience with paid digital strategies, particularly managing digital vendors, a plus
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply. Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you. This position will remain open until filled.