The National Domestic Workers Alliance seeks an energetic, highly organized and self-directed Special Assistant to provide strategic, programmatic, administrative and logistical support for the Political Director. The Political Director manages major programmatic work for the Alliance, including our legislative, immigration, and civic engagement work. This includes moving forward state legislative campaigns, state and federal government relations, working with endorsed candidates, and other integrated civic engagement work. The Special Assistant will support the Political Director to achieve her strategic goals and objectives, including promoting timely, proactive and accurate communications about programs and services internally and externally. The Special Assistant is the first hire on a rapidly growing team, and will play a key role in helping shape team priorities and drive projects forward. This position will also aid in providing background research, documentation and internal content creation support to our civic engagement program.
Serve as owner of scheduling and administrative support for Political Director to maximize time management and ensure strategic priorities are consistently met in a complex campaign environment, including, but not limited to:
- Providing support in the form of background research, briefing memos, event management, reports for appearances and meetings.
- Providing administrative support to Political Director, including expense reports, reimbursements and making travel arrangements; and
- Responding to requests and inquiries from the public for both the Political Director and NDWA’s civic engagement work.
- Act as a strategic advisor to the Political Director, when appropriate. Digest incoming information to extract key points, compile and analyze data, and communicate tradeoffs to assist with decision-making and prioritization.
Serve as day to day project manager on behalf of the Political Director for strategic initiatives, including state advocacy campaigns, civic engagement programs, and movement building work, including, but not limited to:
- Track initiatives, monitor progress towards meeting goals and achieving benchmarks, ensure follow-through on the part of key persons, and sustain momentum needed to drive initiatives to completion.
- Ensure strategic communications and commitments are met, including scheduling and confirming internal and external meetings, cataloguing incoming emails, and tracking progress of certain conversations and projects.
- Oversee analysis and dissemination of the Political Director’s key resources and lessons (speeches, decks, articles) to internal and external contacts as needed.
- Expertise, skill, interest and commitment in doing administrative work, including office operations, communications systems, travel, database, and event support;
- Skilled proficiency in Google Suite, including Google Calendar, Google Docs, and Google Sheets;
- Excellent attention to detail and well organized;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required;
- Experience in managing multiple projects and tasks;
- Excellent relational skills: friendly, diplomatic, patient disposition;
- Willingness to work east coast hours, nights and weekends, and ability to do occasional travel;
- Ability to work well with diverse groups and populations;
- Self motivated and a proven ability to work independently and in partnership with a highly motivated team in a rapidly growing organization;
- Agreement and alignment with NDWA’s vision and values;
- Understanding of issues facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, and other communities of color; and
- Grassroots organizing experience on a political or legislative campaign is preferred but not required.
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply. Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Special Assistant to the Political Director” in the subject line. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you. This position will remain open until filled.